European Health Insurance Card Frequently asked questions

In which countries will the EHIC (European health insurance card) cover me?
Your European Health Insurance Card is valid in the following countries:
Click the country to find out more

Austria Belgium Bulgaria
Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic
Denmark Estonia Finland
France Germany Greece
Hungary Iceland Ireland
Italy Latvia Liechtenstein
Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
Netherlands Norway Poland
Portugal Romania Slovakia
Slovenia Spain Switzerland

Do I need travel insurance if I have an EHIC card?
Many people confuse this facility as an alternative to travel insurance. This card does not cover the usual benefits associated with healthcare or travel insurance such as flight charges or air ambulances. Hence, it is essential to have the regular travel and health insurance while travelling in addition to EHIC.

What does EHIC mean?
European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC card allows anyone who is covered by a social security scheme of the EEA countries and Switzerland to receive medical treatment in any other member state for free or at a reduced cost.

What does the EHIC card entitle me to?
The EHIC entitles you to receive treatment that is deemed medically necessary whilst you are travelling in any of the relevant countries. The EHIC card can be used to either get completely free treatment or treatment at a substantially subsidized rate. This card enables people to continue their trip even in case of medical emergencies, without cancelling or cutting their trips short.

How long is an EHIC valid for?
The EHIC card is valid for 5 years. You may renew the card six months prior to the expiry date or after it has expired. We offer an auto-renew service if you apply through (website-name). We will remind you that your EHIC card is about to expire and renew it for you.

I have lost my EHIC pin but I want to renew my card. What do I do?
If none of your personal details have changed, you can fill out the form on our website without your PIN and your EHIC will be renewed. If only your address has changed, you can simply enter your new address on our form and the cards will be sent to that address.

Who needs to apply for an EHIC?
Any UK citizen or permanent resident who plans to travel within the EU.

Do children need to apply as well?
Yes – the EHIC is individual and you will need to obtain an EHIC for each of your children. Please note that our system will accept applications on a single form for up to 2 adults and up to 4 dependent children for only one fee of £34.50.

Can I go abroad for the purpose of receiving medical treatment and use my EHIC?
No – You can use the EHIC in order to receive medical treatment when found necessary and when the need has arisen unexpectedly.

My child is under 16 – how do I apply on their behalf?
You need to select ‘Add Spouse/Children’ which is the first option in the Apply section. Then add the details of the main applicant, regardless of whether they have an existing card, followed by the details of your child/children.